If you or a loved one is struggling with alcohol abuse, please call our helpline today. Call anytime to speak to an admissions specialist or quickly verify your insurance benefits online now. In some cases—if you experience bleeding gums or bruising, for example—you can simply call your doctor.
All three components are carried through your body by liquid plasma . Older people are at particularly high risk for harmful alcohol–medication interactions. Aging slows the body’s ability to break down alcohol, so alcohol remains in a person’s system longer. Older people also are more likely to take a medication that interacts with alcohol—in fact, they often need to take more than one of these medications. If you have high blood pressure, you should do your best to avoid alcohol. Luckily, alcoholics who quit drinking see a reduction in blood pressure.
Add to Collections
Some research-based evidence suggests that people who have thicker blood may be at higher risk of developing a stroke or having a heart attack. The blood is viscous, or thicker, and higher viscosity makes it more difficult for a fluid to flow; think of honey or thickened oil. When blood is thick enough not to flow easily, your heart has to work that much harder to move it throughout your body.
- Since you’re not logged in, check your email after you submit to confirm.
- However, if you consume large amounts of alcohol at one time or drink alcohol on a daily basis, be sure to discuss this with your doctor.
- Alcohol consumption has been linked to the development of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, and obesity—all risk factors for heart disease and stroke.
- There are a number of factors that determine how dangerous alcohol consumption is while taking blood thinners.
- Doctors warn people who are taking Aggrenox to moderate their alcohol consumption.
Having the restraint to consume only moderate amounts of alcohol may be challenging for some individuals. According to research, moderate consumption of alcohol has been found to cause a small increase in your HDL cholesterol. Also, blood thinners might not be able to lessen the strong blood-clotting tendency of an underlying disease, such as cancer. Drinking to excess can lead to injuries, alcohol poisoning, violence, stillbirth/miscarriage, and risky sexual acts (sex with multiple partners, unprotected sex, etc.).
Can I drink alcohol while taking blood thinners?
Autoimmune disorders, such as systemic lupus erythematous or rheumatoid arthritis can cause this. Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed blood thinners and alcohol on this page applies to your personal circumstances. Drinking a small amount can help people feel relaxed, but too much, too often, can be harmful for health.
- If you didn’t know that moderate alcohol consumption tends to thin out the platelets in your blood, this information is something you need to know.
- Alcohol and medicines can interact harmfully even if they are not taken at the same time.
- It can also limit your kidneys’ ability to excrete broken-down toxins or drugs, such as your prescribed blood thinner.
- Occasional, moderate alcohol use should be safe for most people who are taking blood thinners.
Also, viscous blood is more likely to develop into clots in your veins and arteries. Alcohol, like some medicines, can make you sleepy, drowsy, or lightheaded. Drinking alcohol while taking medicines can intensify these effects. You may have trouble concentrating or performing mechanical skills. Small amounts of alcohol can make it dangerous to drive, and when you mix alcohol with certain medicines you put yourself at even greater risk. Combining alcohol with some medicines can lead to falls and serious injuries, especially among older people.
Do Mounjaro and alcohol mix?
The antiplatelet effect of alcohol may increase bleeding risk without effects on the INR, a measure of warfarin effect. Platelets are important blood cells that help your body to form clots when bleeding. People taking blood thinners with reduced liver function may accumulate more medication in their bloodstream. Increasing the level of blood thinners in the body can lead to an increased risk of bleeding.